Optical technologies have taken a strong place in modern human life. Telecommunications, medicine and biology, science and data processing, AR/VR technologies and quantum cryptography are all developed with modern optics. The summer school course PolyPhotonics opens a magnificent world of photonics and its applications for students. During one week you will be able to take a theoretical course of lectures by the best world experts, supported by a number of master classes. The acquired knowledge will be needed to implement your own telecommunications, biophotonics or fiber optics project during your summer school studies. Presentation of your original project will be a part of the YETI-2020 conference and will complete your training.
Hybrid format: 160 Euro + 4000 Rub (non-refundable registration fee for the Letter of Invitation)
Participation fee includes tuition fee, study materials, field trips and cultural program.
Upon successful completion of the course students will receive hard copies of certificates with ECTS credits (mailed by post in case of the online format of the Summer School).
- Online Pub Quiz;
- Online Interactive Tour to SPbPU Museum;
- Online broadcasting of excursion to the Hermitage museum;
Cultural program in the Hybrid format is discussed with participants individually.
*All of the listed above activities are planned to take place but in case any of those will have to be cancelled, an alternative event will be offered to participants.
Provided only for the Hybrid or the Tailor-made formats:
on campus at the university dormitory
off-campus at partner hostels in the city center
Details of the options and booking procedures will be discussed with each applicant individually.
Deadline for registration
Online format: July 05, 2021
- for EU- or visa-free countries nationals: June 07, 2021
- for non-EU nationals: May 05, 2021
- Basic knowledge of physics.
- Fluent English. All classes and extracurricular activities are carried out in English. Knowledge of the Russian language is not required.
- Applicants are expected to have at least 3 courses of Bachelor Degree (preferably in physical or technical sciences).
Only for the online format:
- Hardware requirements: computer with access to high-speed network connection (minimum download speed of 8Mbps for online video stream), headphone/mic, camera (advisable).
- For online format: Software requirements: MS Teams (free access will be provided for all students), COMSOL (advisable for additional course), Microsoft Office 2007 or newer, alternative: LibreOffice—a free productivity suite compatible with Microsoft Office file formats
PolyPhotonics Summer School is a new program implemented by the Higher School of Applied Physics and Space Technologies. The six-day program comprises three main components: optics in telecommunications technology, fiber optics and biomedical optics. Each track consists of lectures by the world's leading scientists and visual demonstrations in laboratories of Higher School of Applied Physics and Space Technologies. Classes will also be held on modern developments in optical technologies, artificial intelligence for image processing, quantum cryptography and virtual reality.
Within the school, students will have the opportunity to develop their own project under the guidance of specialists in telecommunications, biophotonics and fiber optics. The development of the project will consist of both the theoretical part (the schematic part and the corresponding calculations), and the practical part where students can assemble and test their own device.